These easy-to-make cookies can be made into any shape you please and are perfect for decorating with holiday themes. They also make tasty gifts!
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅔ c Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 c salted butter, softened
- 1 ½ c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ c salted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups confectioners sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp milk
- Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and cocoa powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Mix in eggs and vanilla extract until combined. Gradually add flour mixture and mix until smooth. Divide dough into two parts, wrap each section in food safe wrap (we like Abeego), and chill for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven at 350°F.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to ¼-inch think. Cut into shapes.
- Place cookies on lined cookie sheets and bake for 11-12 minutes, until the edges are firm and the centers are soft and slightly puffed. Keep cookies on the pan to cool to help keep the cookies soft.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the cream cheese frosting. Cream together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add in confectioners sugar, vanilla, and milk and beat until combined and fluffy.
- Fill a piping bag with frosting and pipe designs onto completely cooled cookies.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- If you don’t have a piping bag to frost these cupcakes, don’t worry! There are several other ways to frost cupcakes easily. You could place frosting in a plastic sandwich bag and snip off a corner to create a DIY piping bag of just frost them with a knife. We won’t judge you either way!
- Don’t limit yourself to making the amount this recipe calls for. Double the recipe so you have extra to snack on and send to your friends and family as an easy gift!
- Looking to make this recipe vegan friendly? Try using Miyokos Cultured Butter, almond cream cheese, and oat milk as substitutes for the dairy items.
Want to make your groceries last longer?
Use our storage guide to waste less food and enjoy cooking more.