We’ve all had the experience of buying that apple, or avocado, and having it go bad before you can eat it.
It’s so widespread that there are memes about it now. Have you ever wondered what exactly makes food go bad and what we can do to slow this process down? The folks at Apeel Sciences took this real conundrum of how to make our favorite foods last longer and answered it with a game changing new product. Apeel is an innovative, plant-based coating that goes on your favorite fruits & veggies to keep them fresh for longer, which means less wasted food, less stress about squandering money on avocados you never get to eat, and more delicious meals! To learn more about how this works and what it means for the future of food waste, we chatted with Jessica Vieira, head of sustainability at Apeel. We discussed all things ripeness and food waste and explored how Apeel is making it easier than ever to waste less food on the farm, at the store, and in your home.
We have an invisible solution to an invisible problem.jessica vieira, head of sustainability at apeel sciences
Episode Show Notes:
- Learn more about Apeel on their website and Instagram.
- To see where you can buy produce with Apeel, head here!
- Jess outlined that the key factors that make fruit go bad are water loss and oxidation.
- This article from Wired does a great job explaining how Apeel works to keep produce fresh for longer.
- Jess shared that one of the first farmers to benefit from Apeel was growing finger limes, a fruit as quirky and fascinating as it sounds.
- Jess shared that food waste accounts for 8% of Greenhouse gas emissions globally
- Jess’s go-to karaoke song is “I Want You Back” by the Jackson 5
- To learn more about Jess and her background, connect with her on LinkedIn