“Every time we are eating food and buying food there is an opportunity to shift the system towards more resiliency and more equity.”Misfit Foods
Why is eating less meat important and how do you convince people to do it?
Environmental entrepreneurs Phil Wong and Dave Betts of Misfit Foods built a one-of-a-kind business around answering this question. Misfit Foods started as a juice company that upcycled ugly fruits and vegetables and then evolved to a sausage company aimed at getting people to eat less meat and more vegetables. We explore what motivated this quirky pivot and talk about what stayed the same after they changed their core product. We discuss why eating less meat matters and why they believe marketing to omnivores is crucial. They share Misfit Foods’ vision for a more resilient food system and a subscription recommendation we didn’t know we needed.
This episode is full of wisdom for environmentalists, aspiring entrepreneurs, and curious individuals. If you want to know how the sausage of sustainability is made, then tune in!
- Phil and Dave referenced research that showed that 2/3 of Americans have tried to reduce their meat consumption.
- In modern America, only 4 companies control over 80% of beef production.
- Phil is a proud member of the Rancho Gordo Bean club, which regularly ships him heirloom bean varieties. He’s a particularly big fan of the royal corona bean.
- Reilly shared that his go-to karaoke song is Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls.
- Dave’s go-to karaoke song is a tie between Don’t Speak by No Doubt and Waterfalls by TLC
- Phil’s go-to karaoke song is What is Love by Haddaway.
If you enjoyed Re-thinking Meat Consumption with Misfit Foods, then tune in to Connecting Plate to Planet with Impossible Foods
Do you do vegetarian?
Yes we have options for every diet type! 💚