We all love avocados in guacamole, but have you ever tried adding them to a dessert? These avocado brownies from our friend Katie are a stroke of genius. The result is fudgy chocolate brownies with a secret: avocado replaces the butter for healthy fats in your favorite sweet indulgence!
- 1/2 c diced avocado (85g)
- 1/4 c + 1/2 c chocolate chips
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c cocoa powder
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 square pan or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small food processor or high-speed blender, process the diced avocado until puréed and smooth. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the 1/4 c chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Add sugar and avocado puree to the bowl with the melted chocolate and stir until combined.
- If the mixture is still really hot, let it cool for a minute, then whisk in the eggs one at a time (you don’t want to cook the eggs!), until fully combined.
- Stir in the vanilla, salt, and cocoa powder until the mixture is smooth and well-combined.
- Stir in the flour just until the mixture is smooth and you no longer see clumps, but do not over-mix, and don’t use a mixer. The brownies won’t be fudgy if you incorporate too much air in the batter.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, then scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top if desired. Bake for 30-32 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a couple crumbs attached.
- Sprinkle coarse sea salt over the top, and serve brownies warm!
Recipe Notes and Variations
- Brownies will keep well-wrapped at room temperature (I pack them tightly in a food storage container), for up to 5 days.
Want to make your groceries last longer?
Use our storage guide to waste less food and enjoy cooking more.
You might find these a-peel-ing
Are you the type of person who believes all burgers are incomplete without pickl...
It’s no secret that we love fennel. But we know it’s not always the easiest vege...
Broccoli and cheddar cheese are truly soulmates. They deserve a celebrity couple...
Something crazy happens when you make shrimp spicy. Mix them together with spice...
Feeling festive for fall and craving something sweet? This easy recipe for pumpk...
Can these be made with almond flour or whole wheat flour?
Yes of course! You’re always welcome to adjust the recipe to whatever fits your dietary desires!