This carrot cake is delightfully moist, deliciously tender, and lightly sweet. We hope you’ll make it to celebrate our birthday with us, or to commemorate your next festive occasion!
Carrot Cake: Makes 1 9-inch layer cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, or all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ pounds peeled and grated carrots (about 4 c)
- 1 cup Imperfect Maroo Raisins
- ¾ cup Imperfect Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ¼ cups maple syrup
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 4 eggs, preferably at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 12 oz cream cheese (or vegan cream cheese), softened
- ½ cup salted butter (or vegan butter), softened
- 3 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk of choice
For the Carrot Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease two 9” round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in grated carrots and raisins.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together oil, maple syrup, milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix with a rubber spatula until just combined. Divide batter evenly between the two cake pans.
- Bake cakes on the middle rack for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Let cakes cool in the pans on a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat cream cheese and butter on high speed until smooth. Add in confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and milk and beat on low speed until combined, then beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
Assemble the Cake:
- Using a large serrated knife, cut off the tops of the cakes to create flat surfaces. Place a cake layer on a cake stand or serving platter. Cover the top evenly with frosting.
- Place the second cake layer on top and cover with frosting. Spread remaining frosting all over the top and sides.
- Chill the cake for 15-20 minutes before slicing. This will help keep the cake’s shape while cutting. Slice and enjoy!
Carrot Cake Recipe Notes and Variations
- We made this cake with our beloved Imperfect Maroo Raisins, but you can switch those out for pecans, walnuts, or shredded coconut!
- Save time by grating carrots in a food processor. It’s much faster than grating by hand.
- Cover leftover cake and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Want to make your groceries last longer?
Use our storage guide to waste less food and enjoy cooking more.
You might find these a-peel-ing
Broccoli and cheddar cheese are truly soulmates. They deserve a celebrity couple...
Something crazy happens when you make shrimp spicy. Mix them together with spice...
Feeling festive for fall and craving something sweet? This easy recipe for pumpk...
These cookies can be made with any leftover snacks and chocolate you have on han...
As healthy as it is hearty, this dish features Daring plant-based chicken tossed...